If I offered you a miracle drug that would naturally reduce your chances of having a heart attack or stroke. A drug that would significantly reduce your chances of being diagnosed with Type II Diabetes and keep your weight down in addition to reducing Blood Pressure and Cholesterol. As a bonus it would lower your chances of experiencing Erectile Dysfunction. Best of all its cheap and readily available at the Supermarket.
What is it?
It’s not the sexiest thing in the world but it’s Fiber and over 90% of us don’t eat enough. In a new study the evidence is overwhelming that this can be a game changer. The health benefits are much more far reaching than staying regular.
Researchers at the University of Otago in New Zealand and the University of Dundee say people should be eating a minimum of 25 grams of fiber per day which they call “adequate”. There are benefits of pushing beyond 30 grams. Most people are eating less than 20 grams of fiber.
Quick Tips to get more Fiber
* Cooking potatoes with the skin on.
* Swap White Bread, Pasta and Rice for Wholemeal versions.
* Choose high fiber breakfast cereals such as Oats.
* Putting some chickpeas, beans and lentils in a stew, curry or over a salad.
* Having nuts or fresh fruit for snacks or dessert.
* Consuming at least 5 portions of fruit or vegetables each day.
Some High Fiber Foods
* Oats 16.5 grams per cup of raw oats
* Chickpeas 12.5 grams per cup of cooked
* Lentils 15.6 grams per cup of cooked
* Avocado 10 grams per cup
A lot of people are gravitating toward low carbohydrate diets to lose weight. This runs contrary to this study which is advocating an increase in grain / fruits and vegetables. Incorporating an increase in fiber content, even if trying to cut carbs, could be beneficial.